Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Mmmm, novelicious

For the past few weeks, I've spent an hour or two most days working on a novel. This is a project that's been percolating for over five years now, I think. I wrote a draft several years ago for an online group to critique, but then I set it aside (without ever having read it straight through myself) and moved on to other projects. Having recently finished coauthoring my first book (Mormonism for Dummies), I thought I better find something else to get involved in, to stave off the depression that seems to catch up with me if I don't have a compelling creative project going.

Anyway, the writing is going extremely well, with the characters coming to life, the similies popping, the themes becoming clear, plot points emerging right and left, etc. I still haven't shown any parts to anybody, and I may not do so until I finish this new draft, probably not until close to the end of the year. By the way, I still have not gone back and read the first draft; I started a new draft from scratch. Eventually, I will have to dig through my drawer of notes and old drafts and see what I want to salvage.

No comments: