Thursday, June 01, 2006

Eye + Verb + Whatever

Here’s one of those meme things where you complete statements that begin with “I” plus a verb. If you have a blog, feel free to copy this and fill in your own statements.

I am a white Mormon male living in the most conservative county of the most conservative state.

I have too much work to do and shouldn’t be blogging.

I want to find more success writing and publishing books.

I wish my novel “Kindred Spirits” had been received better; it looks like I will need to self-publish it, but I’m starting to think that might be fun to do on a small scale.

I hate it when I’m given dumb assignments at work or when workmates bother me too much.

I love reading, e-mail, food of many kinds, sleep, my wife and kids.

I miss living in Boston.

I fear losing my salaried job and having trouble figuring out how to provide for my family. I also fear civilization breaking down and not having food, water, electricity, medical care, etc.

I hear less well as the years go by, probably due to concerts and headphones.

I wonder what I’ll be doing five years from now, career-wise.

I regret all the romantic relationships I’ve been in except my current, final one.

I resent turning 40 later this year and still not feeling like I’ve found my true career groove.

I eat too much fast food.

I drink too much Coke.

I am free of allergies or addictions to anything serious, for which I’m grateful.

I dance never.

I sing never, not even at church. At best, I’ll open the hymnbook and follow along with the words. I guess occasionally I sing a little to my kids, in a joking manner.

I cry rarely, usually only when I think something I’ve read, heard, or seen is really cool, and then only with some tears welling. The last time I remember crying about something sad was when I was worried about my two older kids.

I am not as spiritual or religious as I think I used to be. My midlife crisis seems to be all about career, with a little bit of church tiredness creeping in and a little bit of concern about physical aging. It’s not at all about my marriage.

I make words on the keyboard.

I can't pee if someone is standing next to me in the men’s room, unless there’s a wall between us. Is that called a shy bladder?

I need to figure out a better career for myself, where I feel engaged and want to progress more and can earn a better living.

I should get a complete physical when I turn 40 later this year, including colon screening.

I start snoozing during most verbal-based meetings and lectures, whether church, work, or even something I’m interested in.

I finish virtually all books and movies that I start.

Buh-bye, now.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey, that's great! I might copy and paste this with my own, less interesting, fill-in-the-blanks.

Christopher Bigelow said...

My wife did a version that I think is more interesting than mine. Her blog's at:

http://www.alb-3sons.blogspot.com/