Monday, April 23, 2007

My Eighties Music and Onward

I have a coworker who is an Eighties nut, as far as music and style. However, I find that the 1980s is not surviving very well for me. If I had to choose between the '70s and the '80s as far as music, I think I'd probably choose the '70s.

Checking my iTunes, here are my nostalgic 1980s bands that I still listen to:

The Cars
The Police
The English Beat
Squeeze
X
Yaz
The B52s
Midnight Oil
Depeche Mode

I'm sure there are probably some other 1980s bands I wouldn't mind having in my collection, but not many and not compellingly enough for me to go out and seek them. (I didn't include some bands like Rush in my list, which were still releasing music in the '80s but experienced their real heyday earlier.)

Of course, my Nineties list is far larger. I was actually quite enthusiastic about Grunge, although I must say I prefer Alice in Chains and Soundgarden over the big top two, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. All four of them continue regularly circulating through my listening roster.

The more recent Emo music style is the first major rock movement that I have really hated—I just can't stand the whiny, melodramatic vocal style. I used to listen to X-96 all the time, but for several years I've been listening to my own music in the car, and when I go back to X-96 I don't like most of what I hear.

But I continue to discover lots of new rock music that I like, such as Bloc Party. I would say I have a taste mostly for indie rock, and tomorrow I'm having lunch with a friend who's always great about downloading me with tons of the best recent stuff, which I'm looking forward to.

No comments: