Saturday, February 02, 2008

What is it with my kids?

One of my pet peeves is that my kids often don't put away DVDs and CDs. I'm constantly finding bare ones floating around the house and getting scratched up, and it drives me nuts.

All last year, whenever I found a bare disc, I took it and hid it in my closet. I was hoping this would help people remember to put them away. Maybe it helped a little, but not much. I guess we have so many movies to watch and computer games to play that they didn't really miss the ones I confiscated.

So I gave up on that, and now I'm just saying, "To hell with it." I bought one of those machines that buffs away the skips, and I suppose I'll treat their discs if they ever ask, but otherwise I guess I just don't give a damn anymore.

2 comments:

Alb said...

They're dumb! And I can say that cause I'm their mom. Why don't we spank them all soundly and send them to bed.

Stephen said...

Kids are overwhelmed with the amount of "stuff" they have. Once it runs past their ability to keep track of it in their heads, they lose the ability to order it.

You can either spend a lot of time with them or reduce the amount of stuff they have. Reducing stuff just isn't acceptable today, so it is pretty much spend time training them to deal with a lot of stuff (clothes, toys, etc.).