Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts

A piece of creative nonfiction I wrote has been published today on Popcorn Popping:

Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts
By Christopher Kimball Bigelow

Editor’s Note: This piece contains thematic material which may not be appropriate for younger audiences. Reader discretion is advised.

With his thick, dark eyebrows scowling, Elder Cozis spread the map on our unvacuumed carpet. “Say a prayer, Elder Bigelow.” He tightened his tie and gave me an authoritative, contemptuous glare. “Try exercising a little faith for once.”

I knew what I was expected to do, but I didn’t believe in Elder Cozis’s approach to planning our work. Even after more than a year, he still thought the Holy Ghost would magically reveal the street where a willing convert awaited our knock. He thought that if we exercised enough faith, the street would actually light up on the map.

I bowed my head, folded my arms, and began to pray. “Please inspire the people to listen to us on whatever street we choose,” I said.

After we’d said amen, Elder Cozis fumed at me. “You’ve got it all backwards. If you can’t follow my lead, I’ll just call President Henderson.”

Click here to read the rest of "Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts."

No comments: